This September, the Berkshire Athenaeum is pleased to be joining with Downtown Pittsfield and libraries across the country for National Library Card Sign-up Month! This month, we are encouraging everyone in our community to obtain a free library card that will save them money while reaping incredible rewards. Existing library card holders are also able to benefit from the rewards offered this month, and we ask that you to bring a friend along to sign up for a free library card so that way they can enjoy the same benefits too!
To help us celebrate, local Pittsfield businesses are teaming up for the whole month of September to offer residents discounts, prizes, and/or freebies on meals and purchases when they show their library card at checkout.
Stop by these businesses right here in downtown Pittsfield with your library card for INCREDIBLE discounts:
- The Beacon Cinema – $1 off concessions
- Berkshire Fitness and Wellness Center– 1/2 price Walk-in fee and 10% off memberships
- Berkshire General Store – 15% off lunch
- Berkshire Museum – 25% off general admission
- Berkshire Paint and Sip – $5 off when you call directly to make reservation
- BIGG Daddy’s – 10% off your order of $10 or more
- Brits R U.S. – Free bag of crisps if you spend $10 or more
- Cafe Namaste – 10% off
- Carr Hardware – 5% off with exclusions
- Designer Consigner – 15% off excluding jewelry, sunglasses or white ticket items
- DoryandGinger – 10% off
- Hotel on North – 10% off lunch – food only
- Flavours of Malaysia – Free dessert with meal
- The Funky Phoenix – When you show your library card you get a raffle ticket to win a “re-purposed license plate wren house” from a drawing on the 30th… you get another ticket entered if you buy something. Every Sunday from 1:30 to 3 pm, there will be a “Creative Recycling Workshop”, and if you show your library card, you will get a free 30-minute class. Times are 1:30-2, 2-2:30, or 2:30-3.
- Garden Blossoms Florist – 10% off
- The Garden – 10% off any one item
- The Hair Studio – 10% off spa services
- Hancock Shaker Village – Show your Berkshire Athenaeum library card and save $3 on one adult admission. Cannot be combined with other discounts or offers.
- Hot Harry’s – North St, Pittsfield, MA – Will offer BOGO coupons
- House of India – 10% off
- Intuitive Spirit Massage Therapy / Healing Arts – 15% off of a 90-minute Deep Massage
- Leenies Paninis and More, Inc – 10% off
- The Marketplace Cafe – Pittsfield – 10% off – excluding gift cards
- Methuselah Bar and Lounge – 15% off food
- Mission Bar + Tapas – Free dessert with meal
- Otto’s Breakfast & Deli – 10% off food
- The Outlet at Pine Cone Hill – One time 50% off one item when you show a current library card in your name.
- Patrick’s Pub – 10% off excluding alcohol
- Popcorn Wagon North St Pittsfield – 25 cents off one bag of popcorn
- Radiance Yoga – $5 off 50 minute massage, 10% off 5 & 10 class cards
- RJ Stohr Diamonds & Fine Jewelry – Free watch battery installed
- Steven Valenti’s Clothing for Men – 10% off any single item. Cannot be combined with other offers.
- That’s a Wrap Cafe – 15% off
- Township Four – 10% off
If enjoying extra discounts at many of Pittsfield’s best local spots, the Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum are hosting a raffle. During the month of September, if you sign up for a card, renew an expired card, or refer someone to get a card, you will be entered into the Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum’s raffle to win a Kindle Fire 8 HD prize. Only One Raffle Ticket per Person.
Background & History of National Library Card Month
As explained by ALA, “National Library Card month is a national initiative lead and coordinated by the American Library Association (ALA). Since 1987, Library Card Sign-up Month has been held each September to mark the beginning of the school year. Libraries work to remind parents and youth that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning.
“Throughout the school year, public librarians and library staff will assist parents and caregivers with saving hundreds of dollars on educational resources and services for students. From free access to STEAM programs/activities, educational apps, in-person and virtual homework help, technology workshops to the expertise of librarians, a library card is one of the most cost effective back to school supplies available.
“This September Disney Pixar’s superhero family, the Incredibles, will team up with the ALA to promote the value of a library card. As honorary chairs, the Incredibles will remind families, students and people of all ages that signing up for a library card is a great step toward a truly super lifestyle: libraries offer fun and informative resources to help you pursue your passions and succeed in school.
“How much money can you save? Visit the ALA’s Library Value Calculator to total your savings.
“The American Library Association is the foremost national organization providing resources to inspire library and information professionals to transform their communities through essential programs and services. For more than 140 years, the ALA has been the trusted voice of libraries, advocating for the profession and the library’s role in enhancing learning and ensuring access to information for all. For more information, visit ala.org.”
Don’t have a library card? No problem. Stop by the Library with a photo ID and proof of your current address to learn about all the wonderful resources your library card provides!
The Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield’s Public Library expresses its gratitude to the Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum, Downtown Pittsfield and all participating businesses in supporting this program!