The Berkshire Athenaeum, as part of the CWMARS network, will be moving to a new integrated library system called Evergreen. Evergreen is open-source library software that helps patrons find library materials and helps libraries manage, catalog, and circulate those materials.
Evergreen offers these improvements:
- All Central and Western Massachusetts library items in CWMARS member libraries will be located in ONE CATALOG.
- Navigating your ONLINE ACCOUNT will be more intuitive. A set of tabs in THE DASHBOARD will guide you to available options.
- With the LISTS function you can create and share categorized lists of your reading materials.
- Your LISTS can be broadcast over the new RSS FEED. Members can share and respond to one another’s choices and recommendations.
We anticipate the changeover to Evergreen will take place in over Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday, May 26 – Tuesday, May 29).
Your READING HISTORIES and WISHLISTS associated with your current account will not transfer from the current catalog to the new Evergreen catalog. If this information is important to you, save it! (Instruction available at the Reference Desk.)
During the transition, these services will not be available:
- Patrons and library staff will not be able to place holds on any items.
- Patrons will not be able to access their online library accounts.
- Online Museum Pass reservation will not be available. However, library staff will accept reservations by phone or at the Circulation Desk.
- Overdue fines and lost or damaged charges cannot be paid. However, we will not charge fines during this down time.
- Replacement cards will not be available; however, patrons will have access to their old card number if they bring I.D.
During the transition, these services will be available:
- Onsite Internet computer and WiFi services.
- Library materials can be checked out, returned & renewed.
- New patrons can get a library card.
- Patrons who forget to bring their library card can still get their number if they have their I.D.
- Holds that were placed before the transition period will be available for pickup if the items come in.
- Our “old” online catalog will be available for searching, but the status of the items may not be accurate.
After full migration to Evergreen:
- Online credit card payments using E-COMMERCE will not be possible until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Your PIN NUMBER/PASSWORD for access to your online account will be reset to the last 4 digits of your library card number. You will be asked to change it on first login.
Follow here for updates as we move through this process. Feel free to ask questions of library staff or at email@example.com
What should you do now?
Save your READING HISTORY and WISHLIST in preparation for the changeover. (Instruction available at the Reference Desk.)