The Berkshire Athenaeum and The Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum are pleased to announce the 14th Annual Short Story Writing Contest for Young Adults. Contest opens Wednesday, June 1, 2011. Entry Form available here and at the Children’s desk.
There will be two divisions (Aged 11 – 14 years as of June 1, 2011; and Aged 15 – 18 years as of June 1, 2011). If there are not at least ten (10) entries in each one, the divisions may be combined.
Depending upon entries received, the following prizes will be awarded in each division: First Place will receive a $35.00 cash prize, Second Place will receive a $25.00 cash prize, and Honorable Mentions will receive $20.00 cash prizes.
Stories will be judged on their originality, appeal, and writing style. Each contestant should submit her/his story to the Berkshire Athenaeum Children’s Library (1 Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01201); and all entries, whether delivered in person or by mail, must be received by 4:00 PM on Monday, July 11, 2011.
Winning entries, honorable mentions and works of merit will be bound and added to the collection of the Berkshire Athenaeum, so community members may read and enjoy them! All entries become property of the Berkshire Athenaeum. Winners will be notified by telephone, and a list of winners will also be posted in the Children’s Library after August 15, 2011.
A reception for ALL participants will be held on Friday, August 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM. The speaker will be local writer, Kelly Bevan, from The Advocate who will then award the prizes to the winners. Refreshments to follow.
This contest is sponsored by the Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Your story must be your own original work.
2. Type your story (minimum 12 point font), or PRINT it in INK as neatly as possible (Entrants should type or print stories themselves if at all feasible; age appropriate spelling & grammar mistakes, etc. are acceptable).
3. Use 8-1/2 x 11 inch paper, leaving a 1-1/2 inch margin on the left side.
4. Use only one side of the paper.
5. Do not write your name on your story: Please fill out and attach the entry form.
PLEASE USE A PAPERCLIP – STAPLES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
6. Limit your story to four (4) pages and Number each page (do not number any cover pages).
7. Do not include any artwork.
8. Only one story may be submitted per person.
9. All entries, whether dropped off in person or mailed, must be received by the Berkshire Athenaeum Children’s Library (1 Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01201) by 4:00 PM on July 11, 2011.