Too often people don’t apply for SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as Food Stamps, because they don’t realize they are eligible. You may be eligible for SNAP even if you are earning an income from wages, Social Security, SSI, and Retirement or have money in the bank. You could also be eligible if you own a home or a car. Want to find out if you’re eligible? A SNAP Associate will be at the Athenaeum on
- Wednesday, September 25, 10 – 1 pm
- Wednesday,October 30, 10 – 1 pm
- Wednesday, November 20, 10 – 1 pm
- Wednesday, December 18, 10:30 – 1:30
to provide prescreening and if eligible, help you apply for SNAP. Reservations are requested, but not required, please call 800-247-9632 to reserve your spot.
Verifications Needed to Apply for SNAP:
- Proof of Identity: license or birth certificate
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Proof that you live in Massachusetts: driver’s license, or utility bill, or tax forms
- Non-citizen status: green card or immigration papers (only if you are not a U.S. citizen).
Verifications for Income:
- Earned income: pay stubs from the last four weeks or a letter from your employer.
- Other income: proof of Social Security income (statement or bank statement), pension, workers’ compensation, and/or child support.
- Self-employment income: most recent tax forms or business records for the last three months.
- Rental income: If you get paid by someone who rents a room or apartment from you, a copy of the lease agreement or statement from your tenant showing the amount of rent paid.
There are some other documents that might help you get more benefits. For example, information on costs related to: housing, utilities, medical expenses, child support and/or child or adult care. We can answer your questions about these verifications and help you determine what documents you need to submit.
Questions? Call The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts at 1-800-247-9632.